There are so many ways to use tomatoes, whether fresh, bottled or dried, which is probably why they are so popular to grow.
To use green tomatoes, check out this post:
Using ripe tomatoes:
Pico de Gallo (fresh salsa)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (chopped white onion may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon seeded, diced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and serve.
Tomatoes, Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz. macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Cook the macaroni in salted water. Drain.
Saute’ onion and bell pepper in butter. Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
Add macaroni and salt. Mix well and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Spread half of mixture in a greased casserole. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers.
Bake in oven at 400′ till golden, about 15 minutes.
Tomatoes and Zucchini
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
Saute’ onions in olive oil.
Add zucchini and heat thoroughly.
Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese on top, cover and simmer a few more minutes till cheese has melted.
Fresh Tomato and Cheese Pie
- 1 (9″) pie crust
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
Line pie plate with pastry.
Layer with the tomatoes, basil, green onions, bacon and garlic and sprinkle with salt.
In a small bowl, mix cheeses with mayonnaise. Spread over the top of the pie mixture.
Lay a piece of foil over pie and bake at 375′ for 35 minutes.
Remove the foil and bake for 25-30, till golden.
Pesto and Tomato Pasta Salad
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely ground
Cook pasta in salted water and drain.
Add pesto (for recipe check out this post: http://wp.me/p1OXDF-vl )
Add tomatoes and seasonings. Mix well.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- Fresh tomatoes, halved length-wise and seeded
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and pepper
Slice tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. If using cherry tomatoes just leave the seeds in.
Brush baking sheet with olive oil. Place tomatoes on pan, skin side down.
Place garlic cloves among the tomatoes.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake in slow oven, 300′, till shriveled and beginning to brown.
This could take 1-3 hours depending on the size of the tomatoes.
After drizzling on the oil, you can sprinkle dried herbs, (such as oregano, thyme or basil), on as well.Experiment to see which combination you like the best.